Tuesday 23 August 2016

Fixed phrases using the present subjunctive

The present subjunctive is not as popular in present-day English as it was centuries ago. That is why many of the phrases used below come from old translations of the Bible, old sayings and sometimes poetry (such as the phrase 'lest we forget'). There are a number of verbs, e.g. demand, insist, urge, which take a verb in the present subjunctive in American English and the modal verb should with a bare infinitive or the present simple indicative form in British English. I am going to write a separate post about the use of the present subjunctive in such sentences. This post is about fixed phrases and idioms.

Ex. 1 Paraphrase the following sentences using the words given so that the meaning remains as similar as possible to the original sentences.

  1. No matter what happened, the boys would listen to no counsel.
    Come ….....................................................................................
  2. All I can say is that if I could afford that house, I would buy it.
    Suffice …....................................................................................
  3. I'm not the right person to question the minister's decisions.
    Far it …......................................................................................
  4. I'll marry you regardless of the odds.
    Come hell …...............................................................................
  5. The law in Singapore is very strict and those who smoke on the underground will regret it bitterly.
    The law in Singapore is very strict and woe …..............................
  6. To be honest, I'm too tired to go to the gym tonight.
    Truth ….......................................................................................
  7. In my dream I ran fast so I wouldn't be caught.
    In my dream I ran fast lest …........................................................


    Ex. 2 Fill in the gaps with one or two words connected with the present subjunctive.

    1. I know that trams are sometimes late. ….................. as it may, you are expected to come to class on time. 2. All the regulations have to be approved by the powers ….................. . 3. 'God ….................. the Queen!' sang the enthusiastic crowd. 4. 'Lest …..................' is a popular phrase engraved on war memorials. 5. 'Atishoo!' '…..................!' 6. Jesus said to His disciples, 'Peace ….................. with you'. 7. 'Mummy, can we have a bonfire in the living room?' 'Heaven …..................! You'd burn the house down!' 8. If you insist on marrying your hipster boyfriend and moving to Amsterdam, so ….................. . 9. '….................. the Force be with you,' said Obi-Wan Kenobi. 10. 'Long ….................. the bride and groom!' cried the wedding guests as they raised their glasses of champagne. 11. George was a strong ….................. rather short man. 12. Christians are obliged to help anyone, ….................. friend or foe.

    KEY
    Ex. 1 1. ... what may, the boys would listen to no council. 2. ... it to say that if I could afford that house, I would buy it. 3. … be from me to question the minister's decisions. 4. … or high water, I'll marry you. 5. … betide those who smoke on the underground. 6. … be told, I'm too tired to go to the gym tonight. 7. … I (should) be caught.
    Ex. 2 1. Be that, 2. that be, 3. save, 4. we forget, 5. Bless you, 6. be, 7. forbid, 8. be it, 9. May, 10. live, 11. albeit, 12. be they

2 comments: