Thursday 1 June 2017

Emphasis: Cleft sentences and wh-fronting

This post is loosely based on the structures dealt with in Unit 14 of Michael Vince's Advanced Languge Practice (1994).

Ex. 1. Paraphrase the following sentences using the words provided so that the meaning remains as similar as possible. e.g. 0. Iwant the blue one!  It is the blue one that I want!

1. I don't know where Johnny found that rusty knife.
Where ........................................................................
2. We don't know why Pauline left her husband.
Why ...........................................................................
3. Kate was the person who drove me home.
It ................................................................................
4. In the end Kate drove me home.
What Kate .................................................................
5. A cup of coffee is all I need now.
What ........................................................................
All ...........................................................................
6. California was the place where Julia met her boyfriend.
It ..............................................................................
7. Whatever are you doing with my glasses?!
............... earth are ..................................................?!
8. On Monday we finally got back home.
It ..............................................................................
9. She works 10 hours a day and goes to the gym three times a week. I have no idea how she manages to do it all.
She works 10 hours a day and goes to the gym three times a week. How ...............................
10. No, Jack lives in Norway, not Sweden.
No, it ......................................................................
11. The reason why we stayed home was that it was raining.
It was ......................................................................

KEY
1. Where Johnny found that rusty knife I don't know.
2. Why (ever) Pauline left her husband we don't know.
3. It was Kate who/that drove me home.
4. What Kate did in the end was (to) drive me home.
5. What I need now is a cup of coffee. All (that) I need now is a cup of coffee.
6. It was in California that/where Julia met her boyfriend.
7. What on earth are you doing with my glasses?!
8. It was (on) Monday that/when we finally got back home.
9. How she manages to do it all I have no idea.
10. No, it is in Norway that/where Jack lives, not Sweden.
11. It was because it was raining that we stayed home. / It was the rain that made us stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment